Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Altered Map



Why alter a map, you ask? Well, if you run with my art friends, you'd know the answer. Ask any of them and they's say "Why not?" I haven't seen an altered map before but I'm sure I'm not the first one to think it had a surface that could easily be painted, stamped, sewn, drawn on, applied transfers to, and embellished in many other ways as well.

I started with laying down a thin glaze with three different colors. Then I thought, well this map already has a line drawn from Stockton to La Selva Beach, so I stitched an "as the crow flies" line between the two places. Then I thought I'd mark where relatives live with a box. Then stencil some of the highway numbers. After that I just let loose and grabbed whatever was handy and this is the result.

No comments: