Monday, August 27, 2007

Baked donuts - world's easiest recipe

Now, here is my secret recipe. It's very complicated. You have to understand I don't measure, so I'm only guessing at amounts. Take one pouch of Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix and dump it in a bowl. Then dump in some oatmeal (I use the 1 minute type) I'd guess about 3/4 cup. then a big handful of chopped almonds, and another of raisins or dried cranberries, or tropical fruit. Then a handful of semi sweet chocolate chips. sometimes I'll throw in some Cheerios, or other cereal if I don't have enough oatmeal. If I have a banana that needs using up, I mash it and throw it in. Then unsweetened applesauce - enough to make it all stick together and moist enough to mix well and drop from fork. Amounts don't seem to make much difference. I've done all kinds of variations and they always come out fine. No eggs, no fat, no other liquids. That's it! I spray the donut baking pans with butter flavored Pam, and drop in the dough and smush it around with a fork. Don't fill it to the top of the donut section - it needs room to rise. I bake at 350 degrees until it smells ready and starts to brown on the top. I let them stay in the pan for a couple minutes then turn them upside down on wax paper and shake them loose. They usually come out easily. But if one breaks, I eat it!

These little goodies freeze beautifully, take no time to make, always come out great, and are a hit wherever I take them. I recommend them for picnics, hikes, camping, and quickie breakfasts. They dunk. They are good with coffee, tea, fruit juices or milk.

I think you could probably throw in wheat germ if you like it. Sometimes I add a little fresh squeezed orange juice, or lemon juice. On rare occasions, I'll throw in some peanut butter with nuts. Wow! Those are really good, but it defeats the no fat aspect of them. You should see the grandchildren gobble them down. You can also add some powdered cocoa if you want them to be chocolate flavored.

Go forth and bake! Martha and I will be proud of you.

No comments: