Thursday, October 2, 2008

Nikki's here!!!!!



On her way here, Nikki jumped out of the car and dashed across a road and hid behind a closed restaurant. So, with that said, she is a bit shook up, as was Pat when she delivered her. It's a miracle Pat caught her again with the help of a passing motorist. She was badly shaken up by the experience of her mad dash. But, it's over and here we are.

When they got here Buddy was really happy to see Nikki and tried to make her feel welcome. He taught her to follow him up and down the stairs, and how to use the doggy door (which was new to her). That was almost three hours ago. Finally after a lot of nervous sniffing around, she fell asleep on her blankey, and when she woke up she enticed Buddy into some really fun horseplay - chasing each other round and round and a little wrestling. She pooped him out and he came to my lap for a little R&R. His little heart was beating so hard I knew he needed a time out. Nikki is still wanting to play but now she is leaving him in peace after he told her ( in a no nonsense growl) to back off when she came at him again.

Nikki doesn't seem to know what to think of TV. She is sitting here watching it, like they are real live people. Now she's barking at Tim Gunn. No one barks at Tim Gunn in my house. She'll have to learn that he's one of my favorite people. Maybe we can watch the Dog Whisperer together. Or "It's me or my dog". I think her curious behavior at seeing a TV must mean that she had been an outside dog before she ended up at the shelter. Nikki also does not know that patting my lap means , come on up! I think she'll figure that out pretty fast. But, again, I think it means she was NOT a lap dog. I'll be watching her assessing her behavior and training her to be a good indoor dog. Buddy is so well housetrained, I could leave inside him for hours on end.

They are both settling down side by side on the floor beside my chair now. They look pretty cute and comfortable.

No comments: