Saturday, August 20, 2016

The blue eyed cowboy returns

A couple years ago when i was in the portrait mode - I had transferred this sketch onto watercolor paoer.   I dug it out of a "starter" pile of sketches that might someday call out to be painted. 

Ĺ I started it yesterday with very dark hair and moutache. Then I added a background resembling oil painting strokes w palette knife.   It was not working so using a wet brush I lifted the dark colors and tweaked many adjustments.  

Next I used a soppy wet brush and scrubbed the colors in background to muddy it to a neutral then dabbed with textured paper towel.   It really softened the whole atmosphere.   I can see a few things I want to tweak more. But I think for the most part it is done.   During this transition he appears younger and younger.   That was not my intention.

I want to do it again and make him more weathered and worn.     The way cowboys look after years in the saddle breathing dust and baking in the hot sun.   

No comments: