Thursday, October 27, 2011

Senility has it's moments


My poor old dog Buddy is getting senile. Not too surprising. What is surprising is he is still alive. One day last week he came in through his doggie door (entrance is through my closet onto the deck). The went straight ahead instead of coming into the bedroom. Well, my closet is really crowded with the vacuum, dust mop, broom, luggage, etc. and he got himself stuck. Dogs don't always want to turn around. I had to dig him out of the back corner. Good thing I had been watching for his return, or he could have been there a lot longer. He can still see, but not really well. The last few nights he has been making strange noises at night, I keep thinking it is a death rattle, so of course I get up to check on him. He sleeps only a few feet away on his soft cuddly cushion. Last night he did it again, and then he got up and headed for his doggie door, sort of stumbling along and limping a bit. But he got outside. I heard him coming back in, I saw the curtain hanging across the open closet door moving so figured he came out. Then I hear a bunch of bumping noises. I wondered if he had changed his mind and got stuck in the closet again. Then I noticed my recliner rocker moving and then there were more bumping noises. Well, I got up and there he was stuck inside the works of my chair. I could not get him from the front, or from the back of the chair, so turned it on it's side, and out he plunked! I have no idea how he managed to get himself into that spot, it's blocked off with a screen and baskets, but he squeezed himself behind and around the chair apparently. Poor old boy. He's having problems. He was never the brightest bulb in the pack, but he's always been the sweetest, best tempered little gentleman. He can still remember when it's time to eat and where to get his meals. And he still can find his way out, to his pee pad. He's my little sweetheart and let's me dress him up.

1 comment:

Rachel Murphree said...

Janene, he is simply adorable. Our old puppers sure win our hearts, don't they?