Thursday, August 16, 2007

Altered Books - some thoughts

In the process of gathering materials for my next altered book, it occured to me that there are many types of altered books. There are those who rely on techniques such as structural changes (tearing, cutting, niches, shapes, etc.) , those who make eye candy (using images and colors to create an object of beauty - a feast for the eyes), those who use altered books for journaling or for scrapbooks, or found text, or those who work more like I do, as an artist/anthologist. I have given myself that title now and may just add that to my business cards.


My next book (food poisoning) will be an anthology. The research and gathering process is so seductive and enriching (reminds me of working in the library) that sometimes that's as far as I get with a project.

 It will have two common threads weaving it together. Odd food experiences, and Shakespeare's voice. I'm never happy with just one thread. I usually like to aim for three and by the time this altered book is developed, it may have that many. I self impose a limit of three, feeling that more is not better.


No comments: