Friday, September 12, 2008

Tale of the Rat





This story really started a week ago when I accidentally forgot to shut the studio door at night and a critter wandered in and made itself at home. I never saw it, but some instinct kind of told me there was something else there in the morning, so I dashed off to the hardware store and bought an electronic gizmo that makes a sound that drives away rats, mice, spiders, etc. I immediately installed it and left the door open during the day, hoping it would go away. But, since I was headed for the country again, I had to close it up that night and left town. When I got back some things seemed out of place and there was a faint odor. I thought my granddaughter had been there borrowing art supplies so thought no more of it. Then I opened it again yesterday morning and was bowled over by that horrible dead mouse smell. Apparently while I was up in the mountains and enjoying the great outdoors, there was an intruder trapped in my studio in 100 degree weather for several days. The only water was in the little jar with an old paint brush in it.

You have to understand this isn't just a studio. It's a storage area for art supplies. Every surface is covered with stacks of things. Everything has something on it, in it, behind it, under it, etc. You get the picture. Trying to locate the smell was something I put off all day as I had a hair appointment. And I just wanted to air the place out a bit before I tackled it. I emptied the corner where I thought the smell was the worst. But, nothing there. So, my son brought out their make dachshound Lucky to see if he could find it for us. He was very interested, but my dog Buddy kept interrupting him, wanting to play, so he gave up. Matt brought in reinforcements - Macie, the female dachsie - the dog with the longest nose. And she went right to work, first here and then there, and finally settling on an area, walking on her back legs because the smell was over her head height. She pinpointed it. It was on top of a plastic storage cabinet under the counter, where we could not see anything in the narrow space. If it were not for Macie we would never have found it. Yea! for Macie! The rat has been disposed of now and there is the smell of Lysol all over the place. Scrubbed and scoured. I hope that is the only one. I haven't opened it yet today. I'll keep sniffing myself for a few days just to make sure.

I hope none of you ever have a dead rat in your studios! It was a nightmare. I hope it didn't eat my muse.

1 comment:

Rachel Murphree said...

Yikes! good resolution, and I had to laugh at the last line! Rachel