Friday, April 24, 2009

Cirque du Luna? or Cirque Noir? What's in a name?

I'm just beginning to apprectiate the importance of the names of pieces of art. My last painting changed names several times. I wanted the name to be a bit illusive, so a viewer would have to think about why it had that name. It worked. If you painted a vase of roses, would you name it Vase of Roses? Wouldn't it be more interesting if you named it Aphid's Delight? Or The Scent of Love? Would you see the painting differently if it had a different name?

I've seen some of the altered toys "demented toys" made by Michael DeMeng and think he's so brilliant. I'd love to take a workshop but there are none close by and I already know what I want to do - so I'm just going to do it this summer. I decided I should develop a name for the collection I'm going to make. I bought a small cabinet at a yard sale last week for $2 and thought I could house them in it. And hang it on a wall. It would be easy to convert into a theatre - hmmm.... But, because some of the toys I plan to alter are animals - I thought I'd use a circus theme and make it "dark". Creepy. What fun!!!! When I make the pieces to show in it I'll try to think up appropriately dark names for them as well. I may need my friend Bobbi to help, as she is the fastest caption maker in history. She doesn't even need to think. You just show her something and her mouth opens up and out pops brilliant words. I'm in awe of this talent or natural gift.

No comments: