Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Trivia

Day by day

Christmas is sneaking up on us all. I had time this week to have lunch with Jr High School and High school pal from waaayyyyy back when. It was a lot of fun to catch up and share a little food and fun. I've been doing very routine kind of things like grocery shopping, laundry, house cleaning, errands, and working in the gallery. In between I'm baking bread, ordering gifts, and shredding papers from the years 2008 and 2009. May as well live in the present, eh? My filing system (gulp!) was overflowing, so it was time to take care of this while the bread was baking. It took about the same length of time. the poor shredder shut down a few times from overheating, and I have a huge black plastic bag full of paper for the dumpster.

My brother celebrated his 74th birthday yesterday and had a new camera to try out. Dont' know if he will keep it, but he has fun reviewing them and comparing the features of different models. I wait until he decides what's best then buy his old ones or whatever he advises. This time though, I'm sticking to my Canon that was once his. I've had it for years now and it's a fabulous camera. I've never had a bit of trouble with it, and it is super simple to use. But, I wish it was red. I love red cameras, and now he does too. I can't justify changing cameras for the color though but it's tempting.

I found a new toy today that I might want later. The Canon selphy ES40. A portable printer for the camera. Looks like fun to have, but I know I would probably not use it often enough to warrant the purchase.

I already have one new toy that I have not taken out of the box yet. The Magic Wand portable scanner. I can see where I will have fun with it, but it's a Christmas present for me, from me, so I won't play with it until the big day arrives. Then I"ll be scanning everying in sight. It has OCR capability, so it says. Hmmmmm..... we'll see. Optical Character Recognition is something tricky - or it used to be. I have not tried it for years, so hopefully it's better than the old ones. I love that I can carry it with me and scan from friends art and not rely totally on my camera.

I made some spinach dip in my fresh bread tonite and carried it down to kids. They loved it, so I will buy more of the mix at the Hallmark store and make another batch for New Year's eve.

My poor daughter in law is going through dental hell this week. She had an emergency, the pain was so bad she had a tooth extracted yesterday and will see the oral surgeon tomorrow. I know what she's going through. She really suffered during Thanksgiving, and thought she'd put off doing anything about it, but finally she could not delay any longer. Her cheek and jaw are so swollen already and two more teeth need to come out tomorrow. Then the building of a partial so she can chew properly. What a Christmas present! What a huge expense. This has been the year for dental procedures in this household. In January I will start exploring the options for rebuilding my mouth. But first, I plan to enjoy the hollidays. Hope you do too.

No comments: