Friday, January 7, 2011

Old ears - funny stories

Maybe the senior citizens who read this will understand. Old ears do not always hear exactly what is said - if we hear it at all. You are supposed to smile now.

My son's family has three dogs, Pokey, Lucky and Macie. I met my son and his daughter Candis outside the other day and asked, "How's everyone?" Candis replied, "Lucky's dead". Well, that's what it sounded like to me. Not quite believing it, I echoed back with the question, "Lucky's dead?" My son is a jokester and he assumed I was having some fun with Candis. She just looked slightly puzzled and echoed back "Lucky's dead?" Now she catches on to the fact that I had misunderstood, so she gives me a quick eye roll and repeats in aloud voice, "Grandma, Pokie's deaf." Now, I'm thinking one dog is dead and one is deaf. My son is doubled over with laughter. I think everyone has gone nuts. Now Candis is laughing. So Pokey comes along and they demonstrate that she indeed cannot hear anything. I'm feeling bad about that, but worse about Lucky. I say, "I"m sorry about Lucky." Now Candis and Matt are both hysterical and I'm looking upset and confused. About then, Lucky wanders over to be petted. I think I need a nap.

Yesterday at an art meeting Marilyn was showing us something she made with a knotted string technique for show and tell. "This is a little chapstick bag." she tells us. Bobbi who is sitting next to her looking puzzled, asks "a testicle bag?" Everyone around the table laughs. Later, at lunch we admitted three of us had heard it the same as Bobbi. Tricky things, old ears.

1 comment:

Evie said...

Love this, gave me a giggle!!