Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Wacko Camp






This past week was the summer Wacko Camp in the Sierras. Who are the Wackos? Well, Sally, Rosemary and Nancy have had this name for decades. And recently they have adopted a few of us art friends and other friends into the group. It's official now, I have been sworn in! We had a great time in the country, making art and then attending the White Pines Flea Market for art finds. We came back loaded with new art materials. But we also wore each other out. Here are some pics of Wacko Camp and also the original Wacko group.

Last night, after the others had gone home Sat evening, I had a night visitor in the form of a black bear. He had been out of the campground for a number of weeks and we all hoped he had moved on. But I guess he missed us, so he came back and raided the dumpster near my camper. I could actually see the dark figure from my window and could shine the flashlight so it would reflect in his eyes. He was after some left-over bacon I had thrown out. He's a clever bear. He can raise the wooden enclosure lids and lift out the garbage can so he can sort through it at leisure. When he had finished only the tastiest things in my garbage, he ambled away to the big steel campground dumpster, which he opened with a huge boom. There he helped himself before moving down the mountain to the next dumpster station. My dog, Buddy, slept through it all. If I wanted him to do anything I'd have to wait until morning. The last picture is the dumpster as the bear left it.

2 comments:

:Diane said...

Looks like great art was made by all. The bear is obviously a collage/performance artist specializing in recycling.
:Diane

Rachel Murphree said...

Janene -- looks like such fun! Good you had Buddy with you IN the camper...did you know that dogs antagonize bears? When we would tent camp (pre kids) with our dog, she would sleep in the back of the truck and we'd be in the tent with hopefully all food morsels far away from our site and toothpaste locked in the car -- that can attract them too!