Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Monoprinting







I have been reading Mixed Media Self Portraits by Cate Coulacos Prato. One of the techniques used was to place a photo of yourself under an acrylic sheet, then using water soluble oil pastels or watercolor crayons to trace and color in the image. Then to take a dampened sheet of watercolor paper and place it down on the colored image, and press well with hands. When it is pulled up, the color will have transferred over to the wc paper. I recently purchased a couple different brands of watercolor crayons to test the colors, so I was excited to have a good project to use them on. I decided to use book pages to print on rather than the watercolor paper, as images transfer to them just as well, and it's a "greener" way to do things.

Here are three that I did, with the original as pulled and then with the contrast and darkness digitally enhanced. It's quite obvious I'm a beginner at this.

No comments: