Saturday, September 18, 2010

Requiem and requiem two

Last night was Jodi's memorial service. I was moved by the people who spoke and how we had all valued the same qualities that were uniquely Jodi. Jodi made everyone feel special, feel loved. It just poured out of her. She was so highly charged that she could wear me out - all that boundless youthful exuberance. We all loved her, and I can't tell you what a huge hole it makes knowing she is not among us now. Because Jodi had MS and had ups and downs associated with the disease, she also knew a lot of pain and discomfort. We will think of her now in heaven, pain and care free where she can spread her love and friendship with all the angels. It's going to be a much livelier place there now.

On the way to the service Sally and I stopped at one Jodi's favorite thrift stores. I bought a book "The Man who Sang the Sillies" by John Ciardi, illustrated by Edward Gorey. One of the poems is called "Say yes to the music, or else". It reminds me of Jodi Jodi loved music, collected boxes and boxes of old records. When I was with Jodi for any length of time, because of her boisterousness, I wished she would "chill out" a bit. Jodi was Jodi and she went where the music took her. And that's one of the things we loved about her.

Say yes to the music, or else.

What I have to say of Clarence Fud
(who wouldn't say yes and wouldn't say no) is:
Once you turn into a stick in the mud,
You can't be sure where your big toe is.

Suppose it itches, suppose it twitches
and wants to go where the music goes?
If you are stuck in the mud, like Clarence Fud
You can't get the music into your toes.

I can tell you that Jodi was NOT a stick in the mud. If her big toe twitched and wanted to go where the music was - well she just followed it there. She was alive and vibrant and so full of life that she threw off sparks. Cat and Gene raised this wonderful woman who was so non- judgemental, so open and caring. They can be very proud of this remarkable woman.


I thought I had written about the passing of Ray. Last Thanksgiving I had dinner at Rays house. I posted pics and told about it on the blog. Well, Ray started having health issues, and was being treated for bleeding ulcers, but nothing they gave him helped with the pain or the bleeding. They ran test after test, and would send him home again. Many phone calls, trips to ER, etc. they finally found he had pancreatic cancer. He didn't have much time left, but enough that he could see his attorney and get his affairs in order. His remaining son came home, and he and his partner and Zachary took care of Ray with the help of hospice.

His funeral was really very touching and I learned a lot more about Ray, who I had great respect and affection for. Pillar of the church and community kind of guy. Although he was so quiet you'd hardly notice him in a crowd, he had a kind of noble stature in a country kind of way. One of his good friends, the old Irish priest told it like it was. With humor and grace.

Jodi's only child Zachary lost his grandpa, Ray, who he lived with, and then his mom only a week later. We are all prayiing for strength for this young man. If you could see his sad face you'd weep, as it's all there - the pain and loss. I hope some day I can write about something wonderful happening in his life.

No comments: