Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sweet moments

My youngest son was born in 1970. While cleaning in the studio I came across a box of cassette tapes and there was one marked Matthew 1977. I don't remember ever seeing it before. I don't think I knew it existed. where has it been all these years? who made it? why didn't I know about it? well, I popped it into the cassette player and sure enough, a little child was reading, and then I heard the voice of the man recording it. It was my father. what a sweet moment, and then to be able to walk to the back door and call Matt and Christina to come listen. He had never heard it before either. We were all just beaming and glowing over it and Christina remembered a tape she and her grandmother had made when she was about 4. When her grandmother passed, it was given to her, so we listened to it too. another sweet moment.

The tape of Matt's voice was in a box with some cassettes my aunt Verna Mae had given to me many years ago. Our tastes in music were not alike in any sense, I probably assumed they were all music and never really looked at them. This tape was music to my ears today. I think it is the only one we have of Matt as a little child. The rest of tapes can go to the library used book/music store. Matt now has his tape to keep next to Christina's. How cool is that?

1 comment:

:Diane said...

Quick, before it's too late. Play it while you record it on the computer or on some newer media. It won't be long before no one will have a cassette player any more.
:Diane