Wednesday, August 31, 2011

August is over

Can you believe it? Summer slipping by. Weather across the continent has been full of surprises this year. Very odd. Now, it is hot, 90s. This is as it should be normally, but it cools off at night. The cooler nights are nice, but surprising.

I've been working in the garden, as usual. And doing various art projects which are on the other blog. I painted with the seniors on Monday. I don't like the painting I'm working on and may scrap it. I don't think it's worth trying to save it. The nice thing about painting on watercolor paper is - you can cut it u p or throw it away.

Art with the seniors today was full and fun. Met several new people. We may need to ask for more tables, if they come back. One woman finished her very first painting of her daughter's dog in it's bed, surrounded with it's favorite toys. Dog is sleeping and dreaming about them. Good for her. She is very proud of herself having tried something so new, and making this nice gift for her daughter. Most of the people there are working on landscapes. I see a lot of barns and fences, etc. One guy worked on roses. One gal knitted. It's just a nice place to hang out and visit with people. Seems like we have a lot in common - and lots of the same interests. But, each one is unique and has their own quirks and idiosyncrasies. Makes it interesting. We don't talk a lot about health or religion, but almost any other topic is eagerly picked up and commented on by most everyone.

Of the two entries I put into the Stockton Art League juried show, both were accepted, and one of them - the Alice Meets the Internet piece - won 2nd place in 3 dimensional works. I guess I'll have to go to the reception, presentation of awards in a few weeks. Most of my artsy friends entered things in the Lodi Grape Festival. There is a huge room filled with art, quilts, table settings, etc. I didn't have time to get there and enter so think I may plan ahead to do it next year.

I've been very busy communicating with the high school reunion group, getting ready for our 55th reunion in October. I need to do another mass emailing tomorrow, and then the phone will start ringing and my email box fills up. When I worked for Chief Estudillo at the Fremont Fire Dept many decades ago, he taught me to write memos so there would be no need to follow up clarifying anything. It stuck. I may sit on a couple days after I write memos that need to go to 100+ people. By the time it's ready to go, I have thought through most of the questions I might get, and addressed them in the memo. The reason it was important at the fire department was the guys (it was all men in those days) liked to mess with administration. If they could find a loop hole they'd take it. LOL It was like a chess match. They loved to back the chiefs into a corner. I wonder if they still do that? Life has changed so much, perhaps they have found more useful diversions.

Tomorrow the girls (dogs) will get baths and nails trimmed. It will be a really hot day and perfect for that activity. We'll all be drenched. Even Buddy loves to be cooled off with his bath.

That's about it for this week. Oh! I found a new cookie. I'm always on the search for low sodium cookies. These are low fat "meringue cookies classiques", Mint Chocolate Chip. No preservatives, no artificial flavors, and only 5 mg sodium per cookie. And boy are they good.

I spent some time today reading cereal boxes and still can find only the shredded wheat ones with no sodium. Even bland things like rice crispies, wheaties, cheerios, etc. all have way to much sodium for me. Even in the health food section. Way too much. But, I'll keep looking.




No comments: