Thursday, May 28, 2009

Senior Awareness Day Art Show's over time for a nap.


Today was the day. Perfect weather under the oak trees on the lawns, great crowd, good music, good company. I entered three painting/collages and three altered books. The competition was rough this year. Which is a good thing, it means people are having fun painting. Wonderful paintings. I took an honorable mention for "Bread and Butter". Jean J. took a second place in the paintings category for a lovely watercolor. She took a first last year. Some of her students entered their work too. Francis took a second place for three dimensional work for a wood carving. She is so clever with her hands and tools. Then I took a first place for an altered book "City of Bones". Since they are so hard to show, this was a wonderful surprise for me. I'm tickled pink. A lot of people looked through all three books and brought back friends to see them. They were very well used today. A couple people expressed their interest in taking my Altered Book classes in the fall.

Another wonderful thing was that I was approached to discuss the possibility of doing a show or becoming one of the artists at our best gallery in this county. But the show would not be until 2011 - they are fully booked that far ahead. I think I will probably pass on this opportunity, since I'm already 70 and really just into art for the fun of it. Even if I were younger, I don't know that I would take it on. I don't want to sell my best stuff. And I don't like to show the things that aren't as good. Hmmmm....... I'll have to think about this. Maybe there is another way, like a reception. Hmmmm...... I love to show and share my work, so I hate to miss an opportunity to show it. Hmmmmm.....

Another fun thing about today was meeting some other artists and seeing their work. A couple of them are interested in joining the Mixed Media Artists of Northern California, and may even make it to this months meeting on Sunday.

The patriotic piece I took along to work on got a lot of attention also. I used colored pencils to bring out the little people. I'll post a pic later. I'm officially retired from entering shows for the time being. Summer is for fun. Entering shows is hard work. Now, for a nice nap.

1 comment:

:Diane said...

Just do it! An invitation from the "best gallery" - you can't not do it. It's two years away. By then you'll have so much art completed you won't be able to move around your studio. You'll be looking for someplace to move it and you might as well get money for it.
:Diane