Thursday, September 10, 2009

It's a dog's world


My little pals enjoy the country. When they are behind the lattice around the deck they are as brave as can be. They love riding in the golf cart. We have always walked and walked up there. Maybe 10 times a day. This past weekend, as the one previous, Lulu has had absolute screaming fits when walking. When she is on a leash and she sees another dog approaching, or even off in the distance, she starts squealing and straining on the leash. It's noisy and I don't like it a bit. I've tried to tell myself she's a terrier and that's the way they act, but I'm not convinced she can't change. Well, on our last morning, when camp was very quiet and most people were gone, we took a wonderful walk - UNTIL she saw another dog walker with a small dog. At warp speed she was out of control, with pulling, spinning in circles, squealing and barking. She got Buddy and Nikki all worked up and they started barking and snarling. It was awful. I tried to pick her up (sometimes that helps) and she was like a whirlwind with teeth and toe nails flying at me. I had a hunk torn out of my arm and several torn spots on one foot, and I could not hold her. Eventually they passed us and she was still misbehaving. Buddy, the 15 year old slowpoke of a dog, got so mad at her that he decided she needed some discipline and he ended up on top of her with his teeth on her neck, growling and snarling. I separated them and she calmed down a lot. I guess he knew what she needed. The odd thing is when this happens and we get back to our deck and I close the gate, Lulu is perfectly fine, as if nothing happened. But, I'm standing there dripping blood and very upset about it all. I don't do a lot of one on one training with her, thinking the little "pack" will influence her into doing things correctly - but I can see that I need to change my thinking to get her to change.

We went to the dog park this a.m. and I was dreading the worst. We started with the obstacles, and ran the course a few times, then entered the play area. Lulu spent most of the time on the bench (her own choice) watching Buddy and Nikki playing with and sniffing the other dogs. One of Nikkis good friends came and they had a good run. Even Lulu usually likes this dog. There were a couple much larger dogs there though and she was afraid. She let them come sniff her on the bench and didn't try to get on my lap. That's a good thing. And when I walked she walked right with me. She did not seem as scared as some times. It was a really good morning.

It seems Lulu only has these bad episodes 1. In the country and 2. When she's on a leash. Hmmmmm..... I think she gets overexcited with the country smells and sights. Birds, squirrels, golf carts, people she doesn't know, trucks, and trails to follow. I have the feeling if I let her off her leash (not allowed in the park) she would run part way over to the other dog, and get scared and run back and be quiet. I'd like to find a time and another cooperative pet owner who would be willing to try this when there is no one else around. In the meantime, I'll try whatever my friends and other terrier owners suggest.

Here's a lovely YOUTUBE piece about dogs.

No comments: