Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Storm warnings


It was announced on the news several days in advance, thank goodness. We had the winterizing projects done in the nick of time. The winds blew and blew - and the rain poured down for hours on end. Californians are hoping this will be a wet winter. We need the rain. Walking the dogs in the rain is a rare event, but it was the only way I could get them out and about. The wind was howling so loudly I could hardly hear myself think. And leaves and small branches were blowing along the road past us, which really confused Lulu, thinking they were something alive. Needless to say we didn't go far. At home, we had one flood area on the patio that needs to be addressed. My brother and his wife had a new drain put into an area at his house that had flooding by the back door. I'll have to check and see if it handled the amount of rain that came down. We need to do something to drain this away. I've got grandsons, I've got shovels, we can buy rocks. Hmmmmm......

Out front, a large branch came down behind my car in the driveway - I was lucky it did not hit the car. Having such a heavy rain and gusty winds while the leaves are still on the trees was a problem all over the central valley. Lots of places are without power; trees down on roads, and flooding on some of the major highways.

I celebrated the storm by making a big crock pot of beans, with a little chili and some chicken tossed in. I had fresh tomatoes to use in the sauce, the house smelled so warm and cozy. And by late afternoon it was ready and so was I. It tasted just as good as it smelled, and I have left overs for a few days, plus some for the freezer. I hope you all fared well too.

No comments: