Thursday, May 29, 2008

Toot, toot !!!







Put in your earplugs, I'm going to toot my own horn. Today was Senior Awareness Day for the county, and they put on a huge whindig at Micke Grove Park. Everything from a car show, to live music, to rows and rows of booths promoting services for seniors. They also had an art show. So, my art pals Sally and Nancy and I showed selected pieces of our work there. And, ta da, we each won prizes (ribbons and money). The fish dish I'd decorated and shown here earlier won first place in assemblage. And I got an honerable mention ribbon for the Herons painting. Sally's assemblage mystery box took a prize and Nancy took a prize for her mixed media painting/collage. This was all icing on the cake. We had such fun making the things. This was their first art show! And my art friend Jean J. (who also gave me watercolor art lessons awhile back) took first place in her division, with a very subtle and intriguing Koi painting. Gloria and Helen were there, John was there, Francis didn't show her work but she was there. Lots of friends - new ones and old ones.

It is so fun to show your art and talk to people about it. I think I have a couple more converts to altering books. Some people took the time to carefully look through every page. And to actually read every word of the captions and quotes. This is what it's all about. Making something you love to make, and sharing it. Hoping it touches someone in some way - makes them smile, makes them pause to think, enriches them in some way. As Jean says, it is our obligation to use our gifts of being able to create art.

No comments: