Friday, May 9, 2008

Update for Suzie


Get your hankies ready. Her news is not good. The tumor on her bladder that the vet felt is cancer and it is malignant. She may live for up to 6 months - or she could surprise us and hang on longer. Her kidney function is already affected. And her weight is so low. So, I'm feeding her often and cooking her favorite foods. I'm going to spoil her rotten as long as I can. We are not going to have chemo or surgeries. Not at her age and state of health. It could only prolong her life a little and it might be really miserable for her. No heroics here. She will be comfortable and loved and when her time comes, I will know it.

When I got Suzie from the shelter, it was because they called me and said they knew I already had enough dogs, but they had this little girl that no one wanted. People would come to visit her and she would just ignore them. She would not cosy up to anyone. She would not look anyone in the face. She would not wag her tail for them or take food from them. I took her for a walk and she sat on a bench with me. She would not look at me. But she was a nice dignified little being, and I thought, well she's so self-sufficient - it reminded me of ME. I can be a bit standoffish and cool if I'm not in my element. So, she came home with me. And we have been best friends ever since. She's the one that curls up in the crook of my arm to sleep at night. My arm is her pillow. And she is so alert and quick to let me know if anything seems wrong in the yard. My little lazy Buddy is everyone's friend. He'd go with a stranger - especially if they had food. I lost Lady a few years ago. So, Suzie is still my best girl, even if she is paranoid and finicky. She has always looked at her food dish like it was poisoned, and walked around it a few times to make sure it wasn't a trap. Then she may or may not pick at it. I've never had a dog that was finicky before. And she is so stubborn. You can't make her open her mouth if she doesn't want to. it's going to be a bit tricky getting her meds in her. No use putting them in or on her food - she simply would not eat it.

Suzies greatest pleasure in life is pretending to chase the mailman. I live upstairs with windows looking down the street to the school at the end of the block, and windows looking over the street. She knows the sound of his car and is perched on the back of the couch waiting to get a glimpse of him. Then she goes ballistic and runs back and forth from the couch to the deck out back where she can lean out and see him when he get's to the neighbor's front yard. Then she quiets down and watches from the back of the couch again until he gets to the other end of the block and starts back. As he gets closer, all this activity is resumed. Barking and running. It's the best exercise she gets, so I've never asked her to stop. She thinks it is so much fun. I only have to say the words "is the mailman coming?" to get her in motion and she goes and checks for his car. She's still healthy enough to do this.

I call her my Little Suzie Sunshine in the morning. She is the first one up, and always wakes up in a good mood. Let's herself out the doggie door, runs down the stairs, and then comes back up. She either returns to bed, or to wherever the sun is shining. On the couch, the carpet, or the deck. She loves to soak up the morning sun. Buddy doesn't get up until I make him. He is like a lead dog. And sleeps so soundly you'd think he died. But once I get him awake and scratch his tummy a little, he ambles over to let himself out and I don't see him again for a few minutes, then he comes back up and takes a long nap. This is life with old dogs.

I just thought I'd share a bit about my little pals. Thanks for your comments, emails and prayers. I know you understand .

1 comment:

:Diane said...

Words fail me. So I'm sending big hugs for you and Suzie.
Diane