Saturday, March 7, 2009

Done, done, done.



The new painting/collage is done and ready to enter in the Lodi 49th spring Art Show today. It's signed, framed, and labeled! Ready to go. I'm hoping it will be accepted after all the work I've poured into it. I've retitled it, based on a scrap with the words "bread and butter" on it. That's a pretty odd title for it, but the work took a whole agricultural leaning celebrating our ancestor's back breaking work to keep food on the table while settling the new land. It's all about a work ethic. I didn't use Kipling's quote"...when your back stops aching, and your hands begin to harden, you will find yourself a partner, in the Glory of the Garden." but instead have the words, "Give us this day our daily bread" in tiny handwriting hidden in it. Also, the words "Put your back into your work." printed above the shoulder of the illusive brawny guy on upper left. The eagle on the skeleton shoulder above center right signifies the burden of taxation. There's a lot going on in this piece. Here is a sneak peek - sorry about the lighting. The little barn in the lower left is my paternal Great Grandfather's farm in Wisconsin. The Quarry photo is the same ggf. The man in lower left is my maternal grandfather on his farm in Iowa. I've got farming and mining in my blood.

1 comment:

peggy gatto said...

truly beautiful!
Congratulations!!!