Friday, July 24, 2009

Challenge - masks


Here is my entry in this week's challenge for http://artonthedarkside.blogspot.com/

I should have explained how this was done. It started as a collage with a photo of a mask with the paper eyes glued down behind it. Then I painted over it, added crystal clear glaze to the eyes - really makes them look lifelike - and finally I went digital. I used gold and a copper patio metallic acrylic paints to get that color. I was trying to make it look like a restored antiquity.

4 comments:

June said...

Hi Jane, this is fabulous. Such realistic and deep eyes. Fabulous work on the mask theme !!
Thanks so much for entering the challenge and hope your will come back for more.
I will go over now and add your piccy to the sidebar
Hugs June xxx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wow, this is an incredible painting! The copper colors are great. This is a fantastic design.

WildGoose said...

Janene,
Well I"m finally back to comment on what I came over here for...just spent the last hour or so enjoying myself immensely over on your picture trail site...and I only really checked out the Digital one -my own Art interest in exploring now , and that incredible altered alblum of The Pleasure of Ruins!
This mask reminds me of a streamlined Ursula ANdress as she appeared in the movie of the same title from RL Haggard's book...especially with the head-dress and halo of fire/lava surrounding/"rejuvenating" her!I"m probably off the mark, but if you know that scene, it sure makes her more "DarK"-even though SHOWN in light; appearances being deceptive, eh? Great take!

Laura Kay said...

Is this a painting? or digital? or an actual mask? It has a haunting, goddess feel to it. It is beautiful!