Sunday, July 24, 2011

Jackie's garden








One of the big things in Jackies life is her garden. Her husband made a greenhouse a couple years ago, and they have really enjoyed ordering seeds in the winter, planting them in flats and watching them sprout and grow. Her garden is full of fun things too. Things she makes. It's colorful and interesting with a mix of flowers, veggies, and ornamentals.

This is a real common ground for our friendship. We exchange seeds and plants when we can. She has my borage growing in her garden, and I have two of her sunflowers about to bloom in mine. She has always been interested in what I'm doing in mine, as I am with hers. She and Barry have a lot more success with veggies than I do.

It has really distressed her that she does not have the energy or strength to garden now. In fact she can barely leave the new bed that the hospice people brought in for her. She will never read these posts or leave me comments again. Those things are not important now. All that matters is that she is comfortable and surrounded by her loving family. I asked Barry if I, or any of her friends can do anything to help. He answered that he is being selfish. He wants to care for her himself, with the help of the daughter. It is as she would want. And they are of like minds. He says they have known each other for 63 years and married for 44 years. True blue, like the borage plant shown above.

Let's leave the sick room and go poke around in her garden. Here are some pics.

No comments: