Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Book of Michael


As I'm trying to work through my feelings about this horrible tragedy and the terrible feeling of loss, a book of Michael is being formed in my mind and will soon translate to paper. 30 pages long, one for each year of his life. The first 16 I will fill with photos and his drawings and sweet and funny things I remember about him. Somewhere I have a little tape recording of his voice as he asked me a million questions one day. I hope I can find it. The last 14 pages will be blank since those are the years I did not see or hear of/or from him. The lost years. At the end will be the obit along with my poem. I hope this helps the healing process. I will give it to his dad when it's done and maybe it will help him too.

Michael's drinking buddies and friends are giving a bash celebrating his life at his fav sports bar in another county at the end of next week. I don't know if I can bear to go. Accepting his life style after the fact is one thing - to mix with it is another. This is a pic of Michael and me at my parent's house.

1 comment:

Rachel Murphree said...

Oh Janene, I can just hear the deep sadness in your postings. What a tragedy for Michael and for your whole family. I think working your way through it using art is a thoughtful idea that will work, although it won't be easy, but then nothing about this is easy. Sending peaceful thoughts your way, Rachel