Sunday, May 2, 2010

Fences? who need fences?





People with dogs need fences. People like me. On the side of my garden between my house and the neighbor - the fence was really getting saggy, and there was a lot of rot in the wood, broken pieces, loose boards, etc. The dogs are always trying to wriggle through to get to visit the neighbor's dogs and visa versa. Finally Frank Jr., my retired neighbor, decided it was time to fix it - or rather replace it, since we'd been making a patchwork of it the last couple years. it was a losing battle. My fence line is lined with plants, arbor, pots, and decorative things, some planter boxes etc. So, the teen boys and their pals worked one evening moving things away from the fence and lining them along the house and strewing them wherever there was a bare spot. It looks like a hurricane hit out there. Yesterday morning the boys and Frank's grandson took down the fence. Board by board. We took down two large volunteer trees and had to do massive pruning to lilacs and other plants to the new fence can be built. Now, we are waiting for the builder. I'll miss the old fence, it holds lots of memories. Franks Sr. and I used to do a lot of flirting over that old fence years ago. I love old fence boards, but have sent them off to the dump so I won't stockpile them. No hoarding wood anymore! It's going to be like having a new canvas to paint on when it goes up. I can move the pots around, get rid of the overgrown things, and it will probably be filled up again very soon. The old birdhouses are gone. I think maintenance will be easier, especially with those trees removed. Boys dug out some other pesty plants that kept coming up year after year no matter what other measures I took to get rid of them.

All this activity follows two weeks of horribe pain from oral surgery. I like the diversion and am feeling better now and anxious to get back to my normal life. If I can remember what it was like! LOL

1 comment:

Rachel Murphree said...

Janene, thank you for your lovely comments on my blog and CPS. you are very sweet.

I'm sad for you because of the fence being gone. it looks like such a wonderful aged tranquil garden that has grown and matured and is perfect...and now you'll get a fresh start...which will be nice in a new way.

I'm so sorry you had such pain with your surgery. I had no idea you were suffering so much. glad you're doing better now.