Thursday, May 6, 2010

Recycled tyvek mailing envelopes





This is a great way to use your old mail envelopes. They are sturdy and can hold up to heavy winds, and dance in the slightest breeze. 1. First, peel off any labels that you can get off, and tape as well. You can make these leaving them on, but it's easier to cut when they are removed. 2. Fold the envelope in half lengthwise. 3. fold each side into thirds, so you will end up with 6 sections. Make sharp folds, so it will be easy to cut good slits through them. 4. Leave about 1 and a half inches at the closed end of the envelope. Below that, using very sharp scissors cut across the fold, nearly all the way across - within about 3/4 of an inch. Cut another slit about 3/4 of an inch parallel with the first slit. (slits can be curved or straight) Continue cutting more slits to about 2 inches from the other end of envelope. 5. Turn the envelope over so the cuts are facing away from you and the clean uncut side is facing you. Now you will work your way down the envelope cutting slits in between the other slits, but from the opposite fold. Stop about 2 inches from end. See the pictures. 6. You can fringe the ends now, or cut shapes (I cut fish shapes) that will hang at the bottom. Or later you can staple or stitch on something to dangle from the end of the piece. 7. Now you carefully unfold the envelope with all the slits in it. 8. Then, when it is unfolded, grasp the folded end of envelope (or have someone else hold it) and stretch it from the opposite end. There it is. 9. Now cut across the ends of top section to make an opening to slip over a stick or pole.

Originally I made one of these out of a sheet of paper, which I found tore easily and so I looked for something that would fold and cut well but not tear easily. Tyvek was the perfect answer. It does not need to be an envelope. You can make them flat. I like the envelope as it makes it into a "sock". When I taught my friends to make the, they wanted to paint their old envelopes. I was hesitant, thinking it might stick together when the cuts were made, but only one friend had a problem, and it was because the paint was thicker. Nancy used the Lumiere paint and it was perfect. Next time she wants to paint the inside and the outside. I just received a package yesterday in the mail and have another envelope to recycle. Maybe I'll paint this one.

You can vary the lengths and widths and numbers of slits. The length of the stretched envelope will vary depending on the slits you cut. I hope you have fun with these. Let me know what you do, please.

2 comments:

Viki Banaszak said...

Awsome! Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely going to breat into my tyvec stash and give it a go.

patriciawallace03 said...

Thanks Janene! I hope I can make it work!
Artipaws