Monday, May 31, 2010

Getting my life back


I'ts slow going. I feel sort of like I've been knocked off my axis and can't quite get a grip on things. But, I'm making progress.

Trevor (17 year old grandson) is graduating from high school this week, and Candis (13 year old granddaughter) is graduating from Jr. High tomorrow. Lots going on around here. Candis and I shopped for the decorations for Trevor's graduation party, and we found an adorable stuffed toy, a big round fluffy white furball with a grad mortar board on top. I had it in the bottom of a big bag here with the other decorations. When I was going through the bag, Nikki noticed the stuffed furball and her eyes lit up. I explained it was NOT for her. No! Nikki! Leave it alone! I put it back in a smaller bag in the bottom of the big bag. Okay, everything went fine for several days she walked past it without a glance. I forgot about it. Then the other afternoon I was cleaning the deck outside and when I came in there she sat in the middle of the floor hugging this white fluffy ball. No Nikki! You leave that alone! And I double wrapped it in plastic and put it back in the bag. A couple days later I was working out in the studio and I noticed Nikki was missing. She disappeared for quite awhile. Hmmmm.... usually means she is up to mischief. Called her and she came dashing into studio with such a pleased with herself look on her face (she's too adorable). What did you do? was the first thing to come out of my mouth. I stepped outside, and there in the garden with Lulu guarding it - was Trevor's furball. They had unwrapped it and carried it down the stairs to play outside. Both girls were so happy I swear they were giggling and squealing and high fiving each other! Well, not really. I retrieved it again and it now resides in the locked studio until Thursday. fortunately they did not chew it up, or unstuff it all over the living room - it looks intact. I have to give it to Nikki. When she wants something, she just waits for the opportunity and goes for it. She plans it all out in that clever, sly little chihuahua brain. Lulu just goes along for the fun of it. She follows Nikki around with a conversation I image goes like this. "Whatcha doing now Nik? Can I come to? I wanna help, I wanna play with that too." Being a terrier, she does not want to give it back once she gets hold of it! I can't imagine life without these little characters. I"m not sure a 17 year old boy really wants a big fur ball - and he's nuts about Nikki. I have a hunch she may just wheedle him out of it soon.

Today was a day of hard work on the country place. Power wash by my son Matt, leaf and pine needle raking by Nathan and Brendon. the place shines and sparkles. Looks wonderful Candis helped inside and we emptied drawers and shelves. I'm going to be doing non stop laundry for several days to freshen everything up before returning them to the country. It was a great day. Even the apple orchard was open so we had apple donuts and juice. Yummmm..... My very best friend Cat who is a clean-freak is going to shampoo the carpets and clean the inside soon so we can start the season fresh and tidy. I can hardly wait. I've got a nice stack of books to read sitting there waiting for me. And the radio is tuned to NPR. It's heaven on Earth.

1 comment:

:Diane said...

Good to have the dog team giving you a laugh. Lulu is such a great buddy for Nikki. You couldn't have imagined a story like that.

Clean start is right, wow, you really know how to master mind a spring cleaning. Now I see where Nikki gets her leadership qualities.
:o)