Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day weekend.


Mother's Day weekend. Mother's Day and roses go together in my memory book. We always clipped roses for the table. As kids we usually ate dinners in the dining room. Mother set a nice table, simple but there were almost always fresh flowers of some kind in the center. When I was grown and living outside of Chicago for a number of years, I really missed the earlier Springs that we have in California. On particularly rough winter just dragged on and on. My mother sent a whole box of her fresh cut roses to me as a surprise. This is the nicest gift I'd ever received, and such a loving touching gesture from so far off was well received. They traveled fine and arrived fresh and fragrant. They went in the center of my table and brought an earlier Spring with them.

Jackie sent this photo of the flowers she set on her table today. I tweaked them with Photoshop and first posted my results, but now went back and put in Jackie's photos. I decided you can't improve on Mother Nature.

Yesterday I drove Jean and Francis up to San Andreas to go to a fashion show that was put on as a benefit for the Senior Center there. All the clothes modeled were from local thrift stores, and it was held outside in a park. We had a mix of wonderful sunshine or shade under the trees, with a little cool breeze. Gin, Cat and I spent most of our time in the sun. Carole, Jean and Francis aren't devout sun worshipers so they stayed in the shade. It was a fun day. The models came in all shapes and sizes, and all ages from 8 to 80+. Riding with friends chatting away made the miles go by much faster and I enjoyed their company.

My brother and SIL left today for their big trip to Peru. A once in a lifetime adventure. I miss them already.

Happy Mother's Day all my friends.

No comments: