Saturday, June 27, 2009

Changes to new painting



Since it's so hot today, I'm staying inside working on this piece and watching old movies. One of these pics shows it with the brown column and the numbers have been glazed. I used indelible colored pencils, thinking they would stay light and not bleed like the water color ones do with the acrylic medium over it. But, I was wrong. It acted just like watercolor pencils. Intensified the colors, so they are much brighter than I wanted them to be. I also added the prayer book text blocks to cover the bad imprints from rubber stamp. The other picture is how it looks now. I painted out the browns in the columns. I also cut around the figure on the right so I could collage in a scan of the column from the book. When I did that it covered part of the text blocks, so I had to tweak them around to highlight them more. Then I found a fine point turquoise pen and started adding some faux text to the background and to the text blocks. And since I had covered part of #4 and #5, I had to redo them.

This reminds me what Roland Cheney taught in his art class decades ago, and it one thing that has stuck with me. Making art is all about problem solving. And it really is. How to get something to fade back. How to get something to pop. How to change something you don't like. When to know you are finished with it. Etc.

The right side of the figure is not attached and I may raise it a bit with little spacers. In the other raised hand, I expect to add some clock hands if I can find them - or will draw them in or collage. The story behind this piece is the power that control over our time gives us. It will probably be called "Time Management" or something like that. It started out to be a womens piece about I am woman, I am strong. Or something about not wanting to be on a pedestal. Maybe it's about aging. Hmmmm..... what do you think? Does it say anything to you?

No comments: