Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Time to rid the studio of clutter.



How many times have I said I'd do this? And how many times did I just fill up every empty space again? My good friend Bobbi is now rid of her clutter, and harsh as it seems, how liberating it must be to have the empty space and room to create rather than just add to the clutter. So, now Sally is getting rid of a lot of her clutter. She is moving on to painting and collage from lots of other crafts and rubber stamping and things she used to teach. It's all going away so she will have room to work on her current interests. It's a good thing, right Martha?

Occasionally I look back at pictures of my empty studio when it was first built and wish it looked that way again. I am setting a priority goal to move things out every week. Get back to the work I love and not save everything I am given or collected. Taking in so much from my aunt's studio really put me over the edge, and I haven't stopped collecting since then. My basic paints only take a small space. My paper and canvases only take a small space. It's the extra stuff that I no longer use and will never use again - that take so much room. Mainly rubber stamps and stuff that I use for assorted crafts that caught my interest at one time or another.
Now, do I want to put them on Ebay? And have to wrap and mail them? Maybe I can get my 17 year old grandson to do that for a summer job. Hmmm...... He'd be doing me a great favor and he can keep the proceeds. And learn something in the process. Hmmmm....

And the assemblage stuff will be gone by Fall, used up or moved out. wow! won't that feel good? No more tripping over things and piling things on top of everything else. I can hardly wait. How liberating it will feel! And inspiring! Gotta stick to it this time. What makes it hard is - if I have my hands on art supplies, I make art.

No comments: