Thursday, June 25, 2009

Reading labels.


We had a bad experience by not reading the entire label on some dog chew toys. They were called Puppy Nylabones. My thinking was that Buddy with his tired old mouth, would prefer a softer chew, so I bought them for the dogs. They loved them. I only let them chew them for about an hour, but they each had chewed off one end of the bones. They were all mad that I took them away, but I wanted to save them for special treats. I didn't think anything of it until the next day Nikki threw up, then Lulu. And in the mess were bits of the chews. The following day Buddy started to upchuck, and Nikki was still having little episodes. Buddy and I were up and down all night last night. I checked the package labels and on the back in normal size print were the words - Do not give to dogs with adult teeth. It did not say this on the front or have any warning about using it for older dogs. Now, I'm having to watch and make sure they pass all the bits, out one end or the other. And I'm worrying over something that would have been avoided with proper labeling. It's not enough to worry about where things are made, but also we must read the entire label to look for warnings or statements that are not obvious or prominent. The bones and all are in the garbage now. Be warned.

No comments: