Friday, June 26, 2009

Day on the Bay and an old fish tale



Matt is scheduled to do an endurance race on SF Bay this weekend. They will be on jet skis and traveling a course from San Leandro, out under the Bay Bridge west of Treasure Island, along the waterfront, up and around Angel Island, out under the Golden Gate Bridge and back. It is going to be 105 degrees here at home and he'll be out there with salt water and sea breezes. I'll be cooler just thinking of him there. It makes me wish I was young enough to do it myself.

Decades ago we used to fish the SF Bay, and I loved the area west of Alcatraz. Huge fish! Splashing waters, boats and seagulls. It was wonderful. Now, I can relive the memories of a special day when boats were tossing and vying for positions as we pulled in fish after fish, throwing back the smaller ones. There was a run of sardines and boats were trolling through it. The large mouth bass would strike at anything ! No one wanted to be at the helm because you might miss a fish, but it was so crazy with boats going every which direction, if you didn't watch out you could cross their lines, or run into someone. Thrilling. Exhilarating. It was a long time ago.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Hi J!
I went out in the Bay with my son on his Zodiak and was scared spitless! I hated it because I hate water....'cept to drink and bathe.
Well, I do like the water in the bird bath! After the KC weather....unbelievably hot and muggy....this feels like paradise!
My granddaughter stood in the sun fishing for 6 hrs. and caught 3 snapping turtles and 3 catfish. Needless to say, she got burned to a crisp. I'm glad to be home.