Saturday, June 16, 2007

Altered Book Progress




Here are a few more pages from the new altered book which is still in progress. Only touch ups and little fiddly things left to do.

I'll point out the mistakes I made and maybe both of us will learn something from them. Some of the pages are wrinkly. I did these on a day when it was hot in the studio. The glue stick was next to useless that day. I applied heavy coats of gel medium on backs of images and between the pages. Light coats would be dry before I could lay the image down. Since I don't prime my paper and it was so absorbant - by adding heavier coats, it also put more moisture into the paper so it warped. I was in a big rush and just kept going, so more than one page was affected this way. I'm not sure how to correct this problem - or even if I can flatten it out better, but now that they are thoroughly dry, I will stack heavy books on top and hope that will help flatten them. Immediately when I saw the problem, I used a brayer on them with lots of pressure. It took some out, but the damage had already been done. It is not so bad that it ruins the book. The images are stunning and it is a very tactile book.

My advice - don't be in a rush, take your time. What's the old saying? If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

1 comment:

Lynn Majidimehr said...

I love your altered bird book. I'm slowly starting my first tiny cup shaped one, but have only had time to add the first layer of color to a few pages.

Also, wanted to thank you for your kind words about my fish quilts.